Tuesday 24 January 2012

Penguin books






I am going to do some more further research into some book covers and how the parts of what makes up the cover is placed on to the cover. I am going to look at a variety of different book covers, showing a few different styles of cover that penguin have published over many years. The penguin icon is very well known, people have grown up with these books, so it is an instantly recognisable logo.





'All passion spent' is from 1939 and 'Animal Farm' is from 1955

These two book covers that have been saved are perfect examples of penguin books. Their layouts are simple and effective. They use Gill Sans on all their covers in the style which is a lovely clean cut font that I have used previously in other projects. I think that within this project I am also going to experiment with this font, re-creating the clean cut style that penguin have done so well. 



This Penguin cover is from the collection of Penguin shorts, this has not been published yet but an eBook has been in December 2011. So by looking at this design and the two I have linked just above you can see that the designs have not changed. They are still as effective as they ever were from the 1900's.


Here I have looked at the barcode part of a penguin book. I think that is layout of barcode is really nicely set. The small penguin section along the top I think adds that extra small personal penguin touch. I would like to use this type of barcode layout within my design.  

No comments:

Post a Comment